By Rick Cutrera, Director at Commercial Air Consulting
The phrase “pearls of wisdom” has specific meaning but what about “pearls of experience?” Let’s walk through your career in travel with experience in mind.
Having spent my entire career in travel I’m certain the branches of this dynamic industry are endless. The “travel tree” continues to trunk out into new space with new demands.
My start tossing luggage into airplanes led to opportunities in reservations, operations, cargo, ramp services, passenger services, manager of aircraft maintenance, environmental coordinator, sales manager, key account manager and business development manager. Each of these positions became “pearls of experience”.
Sadly for me, each career advancement was just a means to grow a paycheck. Not until I became a Business Development Manager, did I realize I missed the best flight path. A more meaningful strategy would be to focus on experience and transferrable knowledge. Here’s some ways to cultivate “Tiffany” quality pearls of experience!
• Seek out and Build useful contacts related to your work. This is absolutely one of the most important ingredients for your future in travel. Make 4-5 meaningful contacts per week and stay connected
• Once you have established job expertise, branch into new experience using job promotions, temporary assignments even lateral moves
• Learn and keep with you 4-5 key aspects of your work experiences that will develop your future marketability
• Pick the brains of co-workers and learn. “Joe, you build corporate travel profiles what exactly goes into that?” ask about inefficiencies or Joe’s ideas on how to improve. Your purpose is to broaden understanding.
• Develop relationships with 6 – 8 industry leaders that will serve as mentors. You can draw on their wisdom, contacts and get endorsements.
You can let chance lead your career or you can cultivate career perfection!
You can contact Rick at email@example.com to learn more!